What Is Clinical Research?
Clinical research is the process through which medications are evaluated and approved for use in the treatment of various medical conditions. All medications must pass through prolonged, rigorous testing prior to their approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for prescription use in the U.S. In order to obtain such approval, pharmaceutical companies select physicians to recruit patients that have specific diagnoses and are willing to participate in testing of the new medication.
Hence, clinical pharmacology research offers patients the opportunity to experience the effects of new drugs prior to their release to the general public. We have two research centers run by senior physicians and co-owners, Dr. Jonathan Weiss and Dr. Alia Brown.
ABC Biomedical Clinical Research
ABC Biomedical Clinical Research Center is located in Atlanta, Georgia. ABC has over 20 years of clinical research experience in the areas of dermatology, women's health, and general medicine. Dr. Alia Brown conducts ongoing medical and cosmetic research studies with a specialty in skin of color. One of the few skin of color primary investigators. Learn more about Dr. Brown and her team's research here.
Gwinnett Clinical Research Center
Gwinnett Clinical Research Center was founded in 1981 and has participated in over 225 clinical trials. Some of the major advancements in dermatologic therapy have resulted from this process and helped many patients prior to availability to the general public. The Research Center, located in our Snellville office, is owned and operated by Dr. Jonathan S. Weiss. They are assisted by two Research Coordinators.
All studies are conducted under the guidelines of Good Clinical Practices (GCPs), under Institutional Review Board (IRB) oversight, and according to the rules and regulations of the FDA.
- Bachelor of Science, University of Michigan with Highest Distinction, 1980
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1984
- Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, 1984-85
- Residency, Dermatology, University of Michigan, 1985-88
- Chief Resident, University of Michigan, Department of Dermatology,1987-88
- Board Certified, American Board of Dermatology, 1988
- Graduated from Bakersfield College, nursing program 1995
- Experience with correctional nursing, orthopedics, oncology, and hospital discharge planning, 17 years
- Diabetic, Nephrology, Rheumatology, and Dermatology research experience, 5 years.
- Certified Clinical Research Coordinator.
- A member of the Academy of Clinical Research Professionals.
We are seeking qualified patients for the following clinical research studies:
A Psoriasis registry study that will consist of questionnaires only. One study visits every six months for patients with psoriasis and on a biologic.
» Request to Participate in Study
- Moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, weight of 200 lbs. or more, never used Cosentyx, Siliq or Taltz. This is a 14 month study with 17 visits using an injectable medication. No prior use of biologics.
- Moderate to severe facial acne study for those 9 yrs. and older. The medication is a topical gel (or placebo). You need to have 20-50 inflammatory bumps, 25-100 non-inflammatory, and no more than 2 nodules. There is 6 office visits over 12 weeks.
- Mild to moderate plaque psoriasis, 11 visits over 10 months using an oral study medication. No prior use of biologics.
Check back for upcoming research studies.
All of our research office visits are free of charge to our research participants. Study procedures and study drug are also free. We have a flexible schedule and try to work around those who work full time or may have a busy schedule. We also offer pay incentives for every completed study visit. If you feel you would qualify for any of the studies we would love to talk to you!
» Request to Participate in Study