Joel S. Shavin, MD
- Bachelor of Science, Emory University, 1965
- Doctor of Medicine, Emory University, 1969
- Residency, Pediatrics, Grady Memorial Hospital, 1969-71
- Chief Resident in Pediatrics, Henrietta Egleston Hospital, 1972
- Board Certified, American Board of Pediatrics, 1975
- Residency, Dermatology, Medical College of Georgia, 1976-78
- Board Certified, American Board of Dermatology, 1978
Dr. Joel Shavin founded Gwinnett, PC as a single physician practice in the once small community of Snellville, Georgia in July 1978. He has derived much pride in watching the practice grow to include six physicians, four physician assistants, and one nurse practitioner in Snellville, Loganville, and Braselton.
Dr. Shavin formed Gwinnett Clinical Research Center in 1981. This new initiative enabled Dr. Shavin–with his partner, Dr. Jonathan S. Weiss–to conduct hundreds of clinical trials for a multitude of dermatologic medications…allowing them to help pioneer many new treatments for a wide array of skin conditions.
He has published in over 55 medical and dermatology journals and is a member of the following organizations: American Academy of Dermatology, Atlanta Association for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, Georgia Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, Medical Association of Georgia, and Southern Medical Association.
As an expert in the field, he is committed to providing quality care for his patients’ dermatology needs and has a strong interest in both general and cosmetic dermatology. He enjoys working with patients to find the best solutions for their skin care problems.
Dr. Shavin credits his wife, Brenda, for her support and hands-on assistance throughout his years of training and practice building. Together, they have two accomplished children and two wonderful granddaughters.
In his spare time, Dr. Shavin enjoys playing the banjo, collecting art, and, of course, spending time with his family.
Jonathan S. Weiss, M.D.
- Bachelor of Science, University of Michigan with Highest Distinction, 1980
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1984
- Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, 1984-85
- Residency, Dermatology, University of Michigan, 1985-88
- Chief Resident, University of Michigan, Department of Dermatology, 1987-88
- Board Certified, American Board of Dermatology, 1988
Dr. Jonathan Weiss joined Georgia Dermatology Partners and Gwinnett Clinical Research Center in 1991. He has active clinical and research interests in psoriasis, topical and systemic retinoids, photodamage, actinic keratosis, skin cancer, rosacea, infectious disease, and cosmetic dermatology. Dr. Weiss enjoys challenging medical matters involving the skin and is committed to helping patients achieve their skin health goals.
He has authored or co-authored over 70 medical and dermatology publications in several journals. In addition to practicing at Georgia Dermatology Partners, Dr. Weiss is an adjunct assistant clinical professor of Dermatology at Emory University School of Medicine and lectures regularly at national meetings. He is a past president of the Atlanta Dermatological Association and the Georgia Society of Dermatologists and fulfills positions on the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee for the Dermatology Foundation. He is also a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Medical Association, and the Medical Association of Georgia. He is a reviewer and member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology and a reviewer for several other medical journals. He has received the Physician Recognition Award from American Medical Association and American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), received a Presidential Citation Award from the AAD and has been a Castle-Connolly Top Doctor since 2001.
Dr. Weiss is an avid tennis player and loves hiking and yoga. He is married and has two children.
Keith D. Wright, M.D.
- Bachelor of Science, Morehouse College, Honors, 1988
- Doctor or Medicine, Meharry Medical College, Honors, 1993
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Rush Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, 1994
- Residency, Dermatology, Brown University, 1994-1997
- Chief Resident, Brown University, Department of Dermatology, 1997
- Board Certified, American Board of Dermatology, 1997
- Fellowship, Mohs Micrographic/Dermatologic Surgery, Emory University, 1998
Dr. Keith Wright joined Drs. Shavin and Weiss at Georgia Dermatology Partners as a Mohs Micrographic Surgeon in 1998. He quickly established himself as a caring and competent physician and a welcome addition to the practice.
Dr. Keith Wright distinguished himself at Meharry Medical College as an Honor’s Graduate and received the Forde Award for Outstanding Senior, the Shropshire Memorial Surgery Award and was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, which is the highest award a medical student can achieve. He has published articles on Trichoblastoma, Actinic Cheilitis, Primary Cutaneous Malignant Melanoma and surgical complications. He is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery, and Cutaneous Oncology and the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
In addition to his expertise in both medical and surgical dermatology, Dr. Wright specializes in the treatment of skin cancers. He has highly trained in Mohs Micrographic surgery, pathology, and post-surgery reconstruction. Understanding that effective doctor-patient communication results in better cure rates, disease prevention, and patient satisfaction, Dr. Wright values each patient’s individual needs and concerns. He is a sought-after practitioner for his knowledge and treatment of skin cancers.
Dr. Wright is married and lives in Atlanta. In his spare time, he enjoys classical reading, painting, playing drums, and classic cars.
Kirk D. Saddler, M.D.
- Bachelor of Science, Physiology, Michigan State University, 1988
- Doctor of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 1993-1997
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Brown University Rhode Island Hospital, 1997-1998
- Residency, Dermatology, Brown Medical School, 1998-2001
- Chief Resident, Brown University, Department of Dermatology, 2000 – 2001
- Board certified, American Board of Dermatology, 2002
Dr. Kirk D. Saddler joined Georgia Dermatology Partners in 2003. He has a focused interest in general and surgical dermatology. Dr. Saddler leverages his extensive experience and advanced training to deliver the best results to his patients. He is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, Atlanta Association for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, Medical Association of Georgia, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, and Dermatology Foundation.
Dr. Saddler is committed to providing the best level of service, results, and care to each patient. When he is not working, Dr. Saddler enjoys playing golf, tennis, and spending time with his family. He is married with three children.
Alia S. Brown, M.D.
- Bachelor of Science, Spelman College, 2000
- Doctor of Medicine, Meharry Medical College, Honors, 2005
- Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Maryland, 2005- 2006
- Residency, Dermatology, University of Louisville, 2006-2009
- Chief Resident, University of Louisville, 2008-2009
- Board Certified, American Board of Dermatology, 2009
- Fellowship, Cosmetic and Laser Fellowship, Skin Laser and Surgery Specialist of New York and New Jersey, 2009-2010
Dr. Alia Brown joined Georgia Dermatology Partners in 2010 after distinguishing herself at Meharry Medical College as an Honor’s Graduate and inductee into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. Upon completion of her residency in dermatology, Dr. Brown completed a cosmetic and laser fellowship with Dr. David Goldberg.
She has published in multiple medical and dermatology journals. She is a member of American Academy of Dermatology, American Medical Association, Women’s Dermatology Society, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
Dr. Brown specializes in partnering with patients to deliver the healthiest, most beautiful skin possible. As a highly skilled skin laser and surgery specialist, she has a focused interest in cosmetic dermatology, including laser medicine and injectables. She places a high priority on her patients’ well being and enjoys designing the most appropriate and successful treatment path for each individual. In her free time, Dr. Brown enjoys traveling, exercising, and volunteer work with several civic organizations. Dr. Brown is married and has three children.
Jessica J. Mercer, M.D.
- Bachelor of Science, Howard University, Summa Cum Laude, 2004
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2008
- Internship, Transitional in Internal Medicine/Surgery, New York Hospital Queens/Cornell University, 2008-2009
- Residency, Dermatology, Brown University, 2009-2012
- Chief Resident, Brown University, Department of Dermatology, 2011-2012
- Board Certified, Dermatology, American Board of Dermatology, 2012
- Fellowship, Dermatopathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Dermpath Diagnostics of New York, 2013
- Board Certified, Dermatopathology, American Board of Dermatology, American Board of Pathology, 2014
Dr. Jessica Mercer joined Georgia Dermatology Partners in 2014 as a dermatologist and dermatopathologist. She values a dynamic patient-physician relationship; and works side by side with her patients in order to understand their medical history and develop a treatment plan that is personalized and successful. She has a comprehensive practice that includes general dermatology, pediatric dermatology, cosmetic dermatology, and surgical dermatology.
Dr. Mercer is a member of American Academy of Dermatology, American Society of Dermatopathology, Women’s Dermatologic Society, Skin of Color Society, American Medical Association, Dermatology Foundation, Medical Association of Georgia, Atlanta Association for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery (AADDS), Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. She also serves as Voluntary Assistant Professor at the University of Miami Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery.
Dr. Mercer is committed to providing exceptional care for your dermatology needs. In her free time, Dr. Mercer enjoys international travel and recreation, mentorship and community service, exploring new shops and restaurants, and spending time with family and friends.
Susan Oh, M.D.
- Bachelor of Science, University of Texas at Dallas, 2011.
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas, 2015. Rank #1. Recipient of the prestigious 4-year Alumni Student Scholarship.
- Internship, Texas Health Presbyterian Internal Medicine Residency Program, 2015-2016.
- Residency, Dermatology, University of Texas Medical School at Houston and MD Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Dermatology, 2016-2019
- dermMentors™ Resident of Distinction, 2017
- Board Certified, American Board of Dermatology, 2019
Dr. Susan Oh joined Gwinnett Dermatology, P.C. and Georgia Dermatology Partners in 2019. She has active clinical and research interests in skin cancer, acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, autoimmune disorders, diet and dermatologic disease/aging, pediatric dermatoses, dermatologic surgery, and cosmetic innovations and skincare. Dr. Oh is passionate about providing excellent dermatologic care. She places a high priority on achieving the best possible patient outcomes utilizing a personalized and interactive approach in all clinical, social, and cultural milieu.
She has authored or co-authored medical and dermatology publications in several journals. She is a member of American Academy of Dermatology, Women’s Dermatologic Society, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, International Peel Society, and the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery.
At the University of Texas at Dallas, she was a yearly winner of the Smart Scholarship and the Bryce Jordan Scholarship. She was a full-tuition scholarship recipient during her study of Chemical Engineering at The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Art and Science. During medical school, she was the AFMR Regional Scholar in 2012 and received the SSCI/SAFMR Student Research Award. She was ranked first in her class and elected among the top 5% of her class to the Junior Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. She received the dermMentors™ Resident of Distinction in 2017.
Dr. Oh is married to a pastor/chaplain, has three beautiful daughters, and loves to be involved in the community. She also plays the violin and has performed in several symphonies. In addition to her musical gifts, Dr. Oh is a competitive swimmer. In her spare time, Dr. Oh enjoys spending time with her family and volunteering in church and outreach programs.
Waqas R. Shaikh, MD, MPH
- Bachelor of Science, Columbia University, 2007.
- Dermatoepidemiology Research Fellowship, Brown University, 2011.
- Skin Cancer Research Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 2012.
- Master of Public Health with Distinction, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, 2012
- Doctor of Medicine with Distinction in Research, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, 2013
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital System, 2013-2014
- Residency, Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, 2014-2017
- Board Certified, American Board of Dermatology, 2017
- Fellowship, Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2017-2018
Dr. Waqas R. Shaikh, MD, MPH joined Georgia Dermatology Partners in September 2019 as a dermatologist and Mohs micrographic surgeon specializing in skin cancer, reconstructive surgery, and cosmetic dermatology.
He completed his dermatology training at the University of Pennsylvania, the oldest and one of the most prestigious dermatology departments in the United States. Dr. Shaikh then undertook a one-year ACMGE-accredited fellowship in Mohs micrographic surgery and cutaneous oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center, often ranked the nation’s top cancer hospital.
Passionate about providing each patient with the highest level of personalized, comprehensive and compassionate care, Dr. Shaikh treats his patients as if he were treating a family member.
Dr. Shaikh is member of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), and American College of Mohs Surgery (ACMS). Dr. Shaikh has presented at numerous conferences related to skin cancer surgery and has been published in medical textbooks and multiple medical journals, including the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, JAMA Dermatology, Journal of Clinical Oncology, and Journal of the National Cancer Institute. His work has been cited by over 300 medical and scientific publications.
Dr. Shaikh lives in Atlanta with his wife and baby daughter. He enjoys spending time with his family, fencing, playing tennis and cooking.